Firstly, how easy is it to install? That all depends on the wiring to your existing thermostat, but it is compatible with the vast majority of existing systems, although in common with all smart thermostats you may need to run a ‘C’ wire or use a power extender if you don’t already have one.
What about ease in setting the system up? You can set the system either through the onscreen menu, which leads you from one screen to another and is quite instinctive to use or through your PC or the free app – you can also remotely alter your setting this way from anywhere in the world. Once the device is set, then you can pretty much forget about it unless you want to use the manual override function for unforeseen occurrences.
If there are any problems with your heating or cooling system and the temperature goes outside your settings, the thermostat will email you and let you know. The Honeywell RTH9580WF, although it has been on the market for about 2 years now, remains very popular and still rates very highly in all Wi-Fi thermostat reviews.
- Compatible with most North American heating and cooling systems
- A home or business setting to make the setup more straightforward depending on where the thermostat is going to be used
- Low profile, protrudes less than 1” from the wall
- Customizable screen colors to blend in with your décor
- PIN lock to prevent unauthorized adjustment of settings
- Learns your heating and cooling system and how long it takes to achieve your set temperatures. This means that you can tell it the temperature you want at a specified time and the Thermostat will switch your system on to meet that.
- Advanced fan control setting. This switches on the fan at certain times to circulate the air around the house, keeping an even temperature in every area.
- Option for either English, French or Spanish languages
- Due to the compact size of the RTH9580WF some touching up of you decoration may be required
- With many other smart thermostats, you have access to a monthly energy report. You don’t with this model. Although whether that report is of value or not depends on how closely you monitor your energy usage.
Ease of Use 4.6/5
The RTH9580WF is very easy to both setup and use, either directly from the control screen or through a PC or using the free Apple or Android app. One area where it scores very highly is the manual override. For example, if you are staying up later than usual one night you can boost the system manually for a number of hours without disrupting the normal settings. On some systems, a manual boost will override the existing programming for that cycle.
How easy any smart thermostat is to install all depends, to some extent, on how lucky you are with the existing thermostat wiring. Honeywell have spent some effort though to cover most eventualities, including a YouTube installation video to help. All smart thermostats need a ‘C’ wire to supply power. If you do not have one, Honeywell has a ‘G’ to ‘C’ workaround or you can run a new ‘C’ wire, the alternative is to buy a power extender kit.
The fact that a sheet of stickers to identify wires as you are installing your new thermostat shows that some thought has gone into the installation process by Honeywell.
As with most smart thermostats, this one offers you the choice to program in your settings either direct from the control panel of via a PC or using a free app.
As with the installation, there are some videos showing you how to connect the thermostat to your Wi-Fi and how to register it as well. The RTH9580WF, in common with most smart thermostats is suitable for both home and business use. Because they have different requirements, this can be problematical in some cases, Honeywell have worked round this potential problem by having a choice of either ‘Business’ or ‘Home’ settings in the start screen.
If you choose the ‘Business’ setting it includes a choice of having different settings for national holidays when the business may be closed.
There is a choice of either English, French or Spanish languages.
Energy Saving 4.6/5
On average, fitting a smart thermostat can save you, on average 20 – 25% of your HVAC energy bill. There are so many variables that it is impossible to put an exact figure on it. If you switch you heating on in October at a set temperature and leave it there until April, then switch to AC, your savings could be considerable. If your local energy supplier offers rebates for using smart thermostats that will add to the savings. But for most users, the RTH9580WF will pay for itself within 2 years and then continue to make savings for the rest of the time it is installed.
Bottom Line 4.6/5
The Honeywell RTH9580WF has been around for over 2 years now, which is quite a long life for high-tech products, in fact, a new model was introduced to replace it (Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Voice Control), but it still remains a very popular choice. Why is that? Quite simply because;
- Ease of installation
- Ease of setup
- Ease of operation
While it may not be the most stylish smart Wi-Fi thermostat available, its looks are very conventional, it is competitively priced and does exactly what it should do, and do it very well. We hope you find our Honeywell RTH9580WF review useful.